Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Journey through Science and Technology



In today's first class we started by drawing our version of a scientist. We got to color it and give it a creative name. Next we went around the room and looked at our peers versions to see how they were similar and or different. What I noticed was that many people drew scientists that had crazy hair, lab coats, and goggles. Some of the things the scientist were holding was beakers, tongs, and some even drew a board with equations on them, which I thought was very unique. Something that I thought was different but in a good way was how there were so many women scientists rather than your stereotypical male. I think nowadays it is important to remember that woman can do anything a man can do, so it was nice to see some students draw their scientists as women. 





To begin the course we all participated in a collaborative slideshow where we watched videos about students using technology in the classroom. The video expressed how students use more technology during their free time but very rarely in the classroom. 60% of teachers don't use technology to engage their students, which is very alarming. Since technology has become such a big part of everyone's everyday life, students should be using it in their lessons because students will be more likely to enjoy the lessons by interacting with things they know. Another statistic in the video was how students only spend 3 hours a day reading because the rest of the time is spent on using technology. This is a negative statistic because students have become so attached to technology that they disregard their other school responsibilities and interacting with their peers. I think technology is a great resource to use in classrooms as long as the teacher implements it in the right way. Engaging students by using Kahoot, google slides, Voki, VoiceThread, and other interactive websites can bring out their creative side rather than copying notes from powerpoints and reading from a textbook. Some students are visual learnings while others like hands on experience, and by using technology to create interactive lessons that addresses both types of learners and sets all students up for SUCCESS!  



I'm very excited to take my journey through science and technology this semester! Last semester I made my journey through social students and technology and I really enjoyed it, so I hope to enjoy this semester just as much. I know it will be challenging and overwhelming at times, but I learned to space out my time and not leave things until the last minute. I'm hoping to perfect my knowledge in teaching science as well as making engaging lesson plans for students that involve technology. Something I want to get better at creating inquiry lessons since last semester that was something I struggled with. I'm ready to face this semester and navigate through its challenges while expanding my knowledge in my teaching skills!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment