Friday, February 9, 2018

Getting to Know the 4th Grade


This week we began our first day of fieldwork with our 4th graders! I was very excited because last semester I worked with the 5th graders so I was looking forward to teaching new faces. We also made our fieldwork groups and I'm in a group with Marie, Ganny, and Cierra! I can't wait to work with them because I know they are hard workers and will bring good ideas to the table. For our getting to know you activity we designed a board game that looked like candy land and made it science related. We printed out a board that looked like a worm to go with the science theme! Each space in the board was labeled with either "science, family, fun fact, or school" which related to the question cards we made. We then came up with questions as a group that related to our science topic of variation and adaptation as well as questions in those categories of family, school and fun facts about the students. Cierra brought in her monopoly pieces for the students to represent themselves on the board. The students loved picking which character they wanted to be. Walking into the 4th grade classroom, I didn't know what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The students were great, they were enthusiastic and very easy to work with. Since we are teaching them about the components of a garden, their teacher had them make us paper flowers with a poem attached, which they handed to us as they were introduced to us. I though that was the cutest thing!! Before we played our games with the students they were asked to complete the pretest we created for them with questions from the different topics we will be teaching. Once students finished that, they were placed into 4 groups and rotated through each of our activities. The students really enjoyed our board game and gave very insightful answers especially with the science ones. I was very surprised because many of the students knew a little bit about our topic, but we explained to them that they will learn a lot more once we dive in to our topic!!
Before we left for the day, we brought the students to look at the garden that they will be creating based on the topics we teach. They were all very excited and were eager in asking questions about what they would plant and how we would get the plants to them. Overall I really enjoyed this first session with them and I am look forward to planning and teaching my lesson to them. Just 2 weeks until my group teaches, but I know the time will be here before we know it so time to get lesson planning!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment